Like the Space Needle, the monorail was built in conjunction with the Century 21 Exposition. Surely at the time it seemed very futuristic.
Unlike the Space Needle, it's not that fun. This makes it not even my second-favorite attraction associated with that fair, because that's the Almond Roca store in Tacoma.
More to the point, the monorail is not that efficient. There are two stops: Seattle Center and Westlake Center Mall. This would also be more impressive if Westlake was a better mall, and it probably used to be. Lots of malls have started emptying out. Wikipedia says Westlake has "fallen into dead mall status":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westlake_Center
The monorail stays open longer than the mall does, so there is a separate exit and entrance. It seems logical to me that there is a way to enter the mall directly and that there must be an elevator, but the flow of traffic carried us down several flights of stairs and dumped us outside of the mall, which we then re-entered, because, hey, we were there.
Because I am not sure about that, I feel like this isn't a very good review, but it wasn't a very good attraction. (Also, I filled my photo card right when I was finishing up at Chihuly Garden and Glass, so these are phone pictures.)
It seems like there should be convenient transfers to other public transportation, though that is uncertain.
https://www.theurbanist.org/monorail-to-nix-transfer-credits-raising-costs-on-some-orca-card-users/
I suspect the primary attraction is that the valet parking at Seattle Center is $25 and there must be cheaper parking near the mall. You do pass through the weird architecture of the EMP.
COVID: There were lots of people, with not many masked besides us. It does seem popular, even if I don't get it.
Accessibility: The FAQ for the monorail says they have ramps, but they also suggest asking for help... my confidence is limited, which may be unfair.















No comments:
Post a Comment