In some of the earlier posts I have been inserting "museum" into the name.
They don't use the word, but there are some things that are very museum-like there.
I have been a fan of Dale Chihuly since a Portland Art Museum exhibit many years ago. (I think it was the late 90s.)
A lot of the work was at least somewhat familiar.
Part of what made it museum-like is that there were sketches and artifacts that gave an idea of the sources of inspiration.
That occurred mainly in the Galleries, which are what you go through first.
There are several different sections.
After the Galleries is the Glasshouse.
It has one long sculpture that reminds me of what I could see of his work in the Tacoma Courthouse.
The last stop is outside into the Garden, with trees, plants, and glass.
There were series represented that I had not seen. I don't remember the baskets being part of that earlier exhibit.
(Then again, I didn't see any of the Irish cylinders here, but they were my least favorite.)
One of my favorite spots was the Persian Ceiling Gallery.
It reminded me a lot of the West end of the Chihuly Bridge of Glass in Tacoma.
There were similar shapes, colors, and the sense of abundance.
The difference was how the light shone through and reflected on to the walls.
Beautiful.
It is a beautiful place to walk around, and probably my favorite of our activities.
You should do this!
Well, unless you don't like beauty.
COVID: This is mostly outside. While not terribly crowded, I stayed masked until I entered the garden.
I will add that while the Glasshouse is spacious, it is built rather like a greenhouse and can be kind of stuffy.
Accessibility: This was pretty good. There are lots of sharp things around that could shatter, but you are not supposed to touch them.
In addition to smooth paths and mainly being single story (there is a bar that is connected, but we didn't go so I can't speak to it), the way the art is arranged it is fairly easy to have a good vantage point, regardless of height.
https://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/






No comments:
Post a Comment