Saturday, February 14, 2015

Disney California Adventure - Flo's V8 Cafe




https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disney-california-adventure/flos-v8-cafe/

I should have taken pictures of my food here. I had not initially decided to do restaurant reviews. I had taken pictures at Apple Pan and Canter's, but they were new to us, as touring Los Angeles was, and I had written about Disneyland in detail before. I think the experience at Earl of Sandwich, which happened the night we ate at Flo's, is what made me think that the new eating places in the park should be reviewed.

I had taken pictures of the the decor, because this was our first time inside and the decorations were great, but also, the food is really good. You may look at park prices and feel like you are paying for atmosphere, and that is partially true, and worthwhile because they do great with the atmosphere, but also the food is generally really good. We went to four places we had never been before, and that's when I started to think that I should do restaurant reviews.

The food is sandwiches and pies and shakes, very much like a classic '50s diner. The car theme is added to a music theme, because "Flo" had a singing career. The list of songs are all car-themed, but there are records decorating the Christmas tree. The pies are set up to look like mini hub caps. It is a little bit "Happy Days", but it is 100% Cars.

I had a sandwich and it was really good. It is not the type of food that we would normally choose. I was drawn to it for two reasons. One is that I saw a reference to mashed potatoes when I read about it, and I love mashed potatoes. They were there, but I ended up getting one of the entrees that did not have it, possibly because it felt more like park food.

That being said, the Roast Beef and Cheddar had a perfect balance of meat and cheese and the horseradish aioli had great flavor. It would have been really easy for it to be too dry or too pungent or something, and I was amazed at how well-made the sandwich was. I should be used to them offering great quality over and over again, but they keep doing it in new ways.

The other thing was that I saw that there were two listings and I thought that meant that both the diner looking building on one side and the cones on the other served the same food, but that the diner was sit-down and the cones were to go. Actually, the diner does both sit down and to go, with indoor and outdoor seating. The Cozy Cone Motel are snacks that we wish we had tried because they sound pretty cool.

The other thing that is worth noting about California Adventure is that it is very common that any restaurant will be open for breakfast and have a separate menu for that, and also more likely that there will be alcoholic options, though probably not for breakfast. (We generally only eat lunch and dinner in the park.)

Anyway, I know that I can recommend the roast beef, but the food can be recommended in general, all through the Magic Kingdom and the California Adventure both. It's just one more of many things that Disney does right.


No comments:

Post a Comment