Visiting the Mount St. Helens Visitor Center was a real blast from the past.
Yes, the pun was intended.It was more interesting for me because of my own memories, and how different the experience was for my sisters.
Five years apart, I was young when it happened, but still more aware of things.
We talked about it in school a lot. We wrote stories about it before, and then after we used a glaze with ash mixed in it as we made clay bells. I remember the dusting of ash all over the cars and ground.
Then, about five years later, we had a field trip where we went to Windy Ridge (currently inaccessible due to a landslide) and the A-frame house, and before that there was the coffee table book.
There were still many things that didn't sink in. Of course I knew Harry Truman died and some campers (and horses), but I didn't realize how many or how many people lost their homes.
The Visitor Center does a good job of memorializing and explaining, but it hits differently depending on your experience.
Though I only remember one novelty song.
Something I remembered from later was that part of the death toll was due to the mountain exploding sideways, which had not been expected.
That started to make more sense.
There is also a lot of context about the regrowth and what scientists are learning from that.
It was interesting to see that all of the Native names for the mountain mentioned "smoke". I guess there were always signs.
There are also hiking trails and paths, and it's a pretty beautiful area.
Just for the record, the mountain was not out.
My least favorite thing was probably actually a good thing.
The restrooms are outside the building, meaning if you just go to hike without paying admission, you can still use the facilities.
However, re-entering the building, or coming out of the volcano, you have exited and have to re-enter if you want to go back to anything.
No one harshly asked me for admission when I went back, so I guess it was okay.
It is not conveniently located, but was worth the day trip.
COVID: I masked inside, but there is also a lot of outside to enjoy.
Accessibility: This was mostly pretty good.
The one exception is the previously mentioned volcano. The general lower area has stairs at one end but a ramp at the other. However it appears to go right inside that is only via stairs.
This matters because that was one of the coolest parts.






No comments:
Post a Comment