I have written about exhibits at the Oregon Historical Society before, and I didn't think I was going to write about this one, but then I had to.
I have been thinking a lot lately about big families without a lot of money piling the kids into the car and driving for all vacations.
While that is mainly associated with I-5, Hwy 101 also played an important part.
Did these come from Agate Beach?
There was also a lot I did not know.
I had been thinking of 101 as the spur where you decide between Cannon Beach and Seaside; that is mainly how we use it, and three numbers is for spurs and connections. That's what they said on Big Bang Theory.
Perhaps, but 101 pre-dates the Highway Act of 1956.
In fact, US Route 101 (also Oregon Coast Highway 9) was started in 1926.
It wasn't really complete until the Astoria-Megler Bridge was opened in 1966. I don't think the technology existed for a crossing like that until then.
Indeed, the bridges are a key -- and beautiful -- part of making a way up the Oregon coast, and that was a highlight of the exhibit.
The exhibit will only be around for a few more weeks, but I hope 101 itself lasts a long time.
At least another 100!
COVID: It's indoors. Wear a mask.
Accessibility: OHS has been very good at this, with ramps, elevators, and easy navigability.
You can find more information at https://www.ohs.org/museum/plan-your-visit.cfm.
https://www.ohs.org/museum/exhibits/101-at-100.cfm






No comments:
Post a Comment