Saturday, March 23, 2024

Vegas Overview

This is my second-to-last post about our trip to Las Vegas, because I want to end on a high note, but I do need to also speak honestly overall...

It wasn't that great.

We did some things that we really enjoyed, but those were all things that we could do other places, as was pointed out specifically in some of the posts.

One of the good things about Vegas has been that you can find a lot of those things close together, but one thing that also worked in the city's favor was that the Strip had so much to look at, and everything has become more crowded.

This is partly infill, as new buildings have been crowded in, but the addition of Formula 1 has been worse.

That has led to the construction of bleachers all over the place, and then they started doing weird things to the overpasses. It was ostensibly to prevent busking, but the real reason seems to be to prevent anyone from being able to watch the race without purchasing tickets.

I understand that even the things we enjoy most exist for the purpose of making money, but it feels like the balance has gone. We were not even able to view the Bellagio Fountains, which I believe was the last of the free shows left.

I understand that the real money is in the gambling and drinking and debauchery, but I was never into those things, so it was everything else that appealed to me. That is slowly being stripped away.

I don't know if I will ever go back, and that's okay.


However, there was one thing that I was thrilled to see and that is uniquely Las Vegas. 

That will be the topic of next Saturday's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment