Saturday, July 22, 2017

Soave


Like Marostica, Soave has an upper castle with walls extending down.

Not that it is really possible to capture that with anything but aerial photography, but you get a great view of Soave on the way from the Verona Airport to Vicenza. The first time I saw Soave I thought it was Marostica, but my uncle told me it was Soave, and they were famous for their vineyards. The internet tells me that their wine is arguably the most famous white wine in Italy.



Perhaps because of that, there is less of a tourist feeling there than in Marostica. There are shops below, but they are mixed with homes and civic buildings and people going about their business.







Still, from almost every vantage point, you can see those magnificent walls, lovingly embracing the hill and encircling the community.









http://www.tourism.verona.it/en/enjoy/history-heritage/castles-and-fortresses/castle-of-soave

No comments:

Post a Comment