Saturday, March 4, 2017

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel

The first thing I noticed was the bears.

We arrived at the Grand Californian at night, so didn't think a lot about the driveway or how the entrance looks as you go in, but once inside there were bears.



Bears danced along tiles all over the check-in counter. Later I would find them on other furnishings and in the gift shop.


That makes the Grand Californian fit in well with the Grizzly River Run - the nearest ride when you enter California Adventure through the hotel's entrance. It also fits in with the California state flag, and that goes along with California Adventure's original celebration of the state of California. There were two other things the decor brought to mind.


It reminded me of the decorations along Buena Vista Street, California Adventure's Main Street equivalent. The decor there - especially in Clarabelle's Hand-Scooped Ice Cream - truly evoke a time and place, of the Hollywood that Walt Disney came to when starting his career. The Grand Californian accomplishes this with American Craftsman Style architecture and Tiffany-style lamps.

On a different level, the structure reminded me of the lodge in Yellowstone Park, and I suspect many other parks in the early 20th century, where people explored the wilderness while still staying in rugged luxury. This came from the vaulted ceilings and lighting fixtures, but also from many places where you could sit around a fire, whether the temperature required it or not.






The biggest surprise for me was that such a beautiful place (with such care for details) would have such ugly bird statues flanking the elevators. I grew to appreciate their oddly-shaped forms as each time I saw them they reassured me that I had once again successfully navigated the large hotel.



Staying there does give you some additional entertainment options. There was a television surrounded by kid-size chairs playing classic Disney cartoons, and you are invited to movie nights at the other hotels.


There was also Pinocchio's Workshop, where children can be dropped off for fun activities.


But the most important factor for us - and the reason that I chose to spend extra (though I did get a good deal, but still) was for the special park entrance. I was worried about fatigue for my mother, and I wanted to reduce the need for walking long distances and climbing up and down shuttles.

That part worked great. There is a bag check and metal detectors and ticket checks - just like the main entrances. But they are closer together, and once you are through there is the big rafter bear statue, and you are in. It was so much easier, and I can't say enough about how much that helped. I'm sure if you go at a busier time of year that getting through will take a little longer, but it was quick and easy and we appreciated it.




https://disneyland.disney.go.com/hotels/grand-californian-hotel/

No comments:

Post a Comment