Saturday, March 25, 2017

Disney California Adventure - Soarin' Over the World and Humphrey's

I love Soarin' Over the World!

I wasn't sure I would. I have been really fond of Soarin' Over California. I love the idea of hang gliding (I haven't actually done it) and how they made the concept work for the ride. I loved the footage of the different places in California and the scent. I also thought it was a shame that DisneyWorld duplicated it instead of doing Soarin' Over Florida, because that idea certainly had potential.

(As I couldn't really take pictures inside, enjoy these pictures of the surrounding area.)

We got there early via the Grand Californian entrance and waited for the attraction to open. On my list of concerns would be whether they had changed the inside decor or taken away Patrick Warburton's introduction. Those were not issues. The queue area still pays homage to the history of aviation, with plane parts and photos of flying pioneers. Puddy is still there, and as his role is to talk about ride safety, without any specific mention of locations, that made sense. One nice change was that instead of the destination names simply appearing against a cloud background, they were shown on a map with a flight path shown between locations.

If there was no more Redwood Creek and Anzo-Borrego Park, what would there be? And suddenly there was a breathtaking icescape with polar bears, and before you were done being impressed with that an orca leaps out of the sea. Then it just kept getting more beautiful. There were still scents. There were more animals. My favorite was the footage of Iguazu Falls. It can look pretty impressive from the ground, but seeing from overhead is a whole new world.


Since we're in the area, let me mention the little shop across from the ride. It was once the Fly n' Buy. You cannot find it the Disney Site. It was supposed to be named Humphrey's Service & Supplies after the renovations, but I am not sure that has officially happened.

It is set up to look like a little store you might find on the way to a national park, or at least how it would have looked several decades ago. That picture is complete with a loaded up station wagon parked outside.


Maybe for my generation the gas pumps looked different (though some of those little places don't get updated too fast), but we see them in cartoons and old movies and there is a lot of familiarity, even if my family trips happened in a Suburban.

If they are not calling it Humphrey's yet, that may be to an inability to get going with Humphrey merchandise, but it is amazing how many people still love that bear. Maybe next time.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/05/humphreys-service-supplies-sets-up-shop-when-grizzly-peak-airfield-opens-may-15-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

No comments:

Post a Comment