Saturday, January 7, 2017

Return to Lloyd Center

Last Saturday I was running an errand in the Lloyd District. I decided to stop in at Lloyd Center for lunch.
My sisters and I used to go there on a regular basis. There were some stores they had that you couldn't find other places, and we liked going there. Many of those stores have closed down, or they now have other locations that are closer to us, so there haven't been many reasons to go.

It was all decorated for Christmas - which I love - and the new skating rink was open. Those are two related thoughts, as the rink circled a tall tree that rose up to a set of oversized ornaments hanging from the ceiling.

It was cool to see that, even though I have since learned that the renovations have displaced many competitive skaters who have few other options.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/09/lloyd_center_ice_rink_will_be.html

That is not all that has been lost. I didn't do a lot of exploring, but at least on the food court level it felt like there was more closed than open. I knew the movie theater was gone, and the arcade, and you can't really tell there was ever anything there. In addition, many of the food spaces are closed and shuttered, or conspicuously open and empty.

For shopping, Sears has been sold, and it's not looking good for Macy's:

http://www.oregonlive.com/window-shop/index.ssf/2016/11/lloyd_center_sears_sold.html

One of the Christmas balls had deflated; that seemed like the most apt symbol.

I know that they are working on renovations and plans to revitalize, but I can't help but wonder whether these plans will actually serve the neighborhood, or if they are geared toward a mythical ideal of what customers they would like to see. I don't have much faith in "lifestyle centers",

http://www.oregonlive.com/window-shop/index.ssf/2016/06/lloyd_center_future.html

One thing my errand reminded me of is that the various corners of Portland have interesting and irreplaceable residents. Why are we taking ideas from California?

It's a concern, but I wish them well. We used to hang out there.

http://www.lloydcenter.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment