Saturday, May 24, 2014

Toronto - Getting around the city and the Double Decker Bus Tour





http://citysightseeingtoronto.com/Toronto-DoubleDeckerTour.htm

I am not sure that the link is for the same company that I used, but it sounds right. I don't remember a harbor cruise, but it could be new, or I could have not had time to use it because of some other things I booked.

Even if it is not the same, it is probably close enough, and I found it very helpful. It hits the key sightseeing points, but more than that just taking that first ride around gives you the lay of the land, and then you can take advantage of the hop on/hop off feature.

I did end up often walking places, because Toronto is very walkable, but I knew what things were when I came to them, and where they were in relation to other spots, because of the tour.

I admit, I also ended up in a very good location with my hotel. This was not be design. I looked at Marriotts because I could get a discount, which put me in the one on Bloor, right by Younge. This was very central. That put me very close to Eaton Center and Dundas Square, which was where I would usually catch the bus and take my meals.

Obviously I was in Toronto for longer than the three days of touring, but for the attractions it takes you to, those can be done in three days, and this site can also get you packages for other places, like Niagara Falls. I had things I did not book through here, but it is still worth looking at.

There was one incident that bothered me, which was not their fault, but I want to mention it. There are tour guides letting you know about the locations as you go, of course, and I remember one family asking her to give less information. After being around a few times, you have heard it more than once, but it shouldn't be that big a deal. As it was, it really threw the poor girl, and then she had a hard time giving any facts. Yes, I am sure that part of it was that she relied on a pattern, and trying to go out of that messed with her rhythm, but also I think they really smashed her confidence, and she was fine. She was doing a good job. So don't be a jerk. If you don't want a tour guide, take the city bus.

I will just mention two other things that don't relate to the tour. I was not able to use every ATM. I use a credit union, which was part of the issue, but it does not hurt to check ahead and see what is around and whether it will accept you. This is important because it is generally less hassle to simply withdraw rather than look for a place to change your USD to CAD.

The other thing that was amazing to me was that the squirrels were black. A lot of the film I wasted was spent trying to get a good picture of one of them, but they were small and fast-moving and I didn't have a zoom feature on the Fun saver. Again, I am very glad to have switched to digital.

No comments:

Post a Comment