Saturday, March 8, 2014

Vancouver BC - The Seawall








https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/seawall.aspx

Stanley Park being one of our memories from our childhood trips, it was the thing in Vancouver that we most wanted to see again. I will write about that next week.

The reason we were in Vancouver this time is that we were visiting a friend, and she lived near Lonsdale Quay, and pretty much everything we did started with a trip via the SeaBus to the Waterfront in downtown Vancouver. This made it pretty convenient to walk along the Seawall to Stanley Park.

The entire path is 22 kilometers, so we did not do the entire thing. We saw other parts of it via regular bus and a tour bus. I really loved what I saw.

The path works well for walking. Actually there are two sections, one for pedestrians and another for bikes and skates. (Well, they specify inline skating. If you have old-fashioned roller skates I'm sure you can get away with it, but I suspect skateboards aren't allowed.)

We were lucky to be going on a sunny day, and everything was just beautiful. This is just a small sampling of the pictures that I took, but you have landscaping, art, boats, water features, and as you near the park there are trees everywhere.

The path was smooth and pleasant, and it was popular. Making good use of waterfront is a key way to put some life in the heart of a city, and this is something that Vancouver has done well. While some of the renovations are from after Vancouver started getting big, the Seawall itself goes back to 1917, so that is almost a century of civic pride.

I would love to go back and bike the entire thing. For walking, I'm not sure how much was the Seawall itself, but from the pedometer I know we logged over eight miles walking that day. I'm not saying we didn't feel it, but it was also pretty satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment