Saturday, November 6, 2021

OMSI: Mandela: The Official Exhibition

On the same day that we visited the Laika exhibit at OMSI, we also visited the Mandela: The Official Exhibition.

It starts with a short film, then takes you into exhibits on Mandela's early life, and what it would have been like.

I was especially interested in seeing the examples of the beadwork, and would be interested in something that compares beading between different areas and cultures.

As the exhibit moved on more into Mandela's growing education, we also started getting more context on Apartheid at that time.

You could sit on this bench, for Europeans only, while a recording played words from laws of discrimination. In this area, it was easy to remember similar wrongs in U.S. history.

For a moment I got a glimpse of a different life possible for Mandela. It would not be a life of equality, but still one with relative respect and well-being.

 A quote from further along in the exhibit may indicate why that was not possible.

"When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace. I believe I have made that effort and that is, therefore, why I will sleep for the eternity."

I appreciate that there was empathy given to Winnie Mandela, who had her own struggles. Also, having recently learned more (via Audre Lorde) about Sharpeville, I am glad that was covered.

Even though we did hear things on this side of the world, the fullness was not told, and I think a lot was excused.

I have a lot of fondness for Mandela, so I would see photos and artifacts that looked familiar, and it would make me smile.

That made the exhibit touching for me, but there may be a greater importance in introducing Nelson Mandela to a generation that doesn't remember him at all. Many teenagers today have not heard of him, and probably do not know how legally entrenched racism has been, in South Africa and here. 

"I was made, by the law, a criminal, not because of what I had done, but because of what I stood for, because of what I thought, because of my conscience. Can it be any wonder to anybody that such conditions make a man an outlaw of society?"

We must remember that there are currently people dedicating themselves to prevent any acknowledgment of our racist past, preventing growth in our present and future.

That is why I am grateful that the exhibit ended with information on work for equality happening in Oregon...

and invitations to pledge to do your own part.

You could even register to vote.

Nelson Mandela was an example of commitment and love. Love for each other can strengthen our commitment. There is a lot to do.
|

"Only through hardship, sacrifice and militant action can freedom be won. The struggle is my life. I will continue fighting for freedom until the end of my days."


"Overcoming poverty is not a task of charity, it is an act of justice. Like slavery and apartheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings. Sometimes it falls on a generation to be great. YOU can be that great generation. Let your greatness bloom."

Mandela: The Official Exhibition will be at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry through February 13th, 2022.

https://omsi.edu/nelson-mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment