Saturday, August 7, 2021

Washington Park: The Holocaust Memorial

As I first approached the Holocaust Memorial, I thought I saw a violin under the lamp post. I looked around to see if there were an owner, maybe a musician.

As I got closer, I saw that the path was strewn with many objects, or bronze sculptures of them, but all damaged and in disarray.

Spectacles with one of the frames broken out, scattered pages... the detritus of lives interrupted and upended.

Then as you approach the wall, you begin to see the writing, with the explanation and the quotes.

The explanation is good, and has some points that perhaps are often not realized, but I think it is the individual quotes that make the strongest impression.


"All of us children were crying for our parents. A guard came over to us and yelled, "Stop all of your whining! See that chimney, see that smoke, smell that stench in the air? That is your parents!"

"The fear has never left me."

Soil from the camps was brought over to be a part of the memorial, but also, there is the story of Portland's connection to the Holocaust.

No one was taken away from Portland, Oregon, but some of those taken there had relatives here. They are listed with their relationships. Aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and parents.

The polished stone reflects brilliantly, but the trees and sun don't blot out the memories.

There is also a panel remembering Romany victims, and the presence of Portland's Roma population.


 https://www.portland.gov/parks/oregon-holocaust-memorial

No comments:

Post a Comment