Saturday, May 3, 2014

Toronto: How I was brought there by Paula Danziger and Richard Wagner

Toronto is the only time I have traveled alone. It worked well, so I am not against doing it, but there were downsides too.

Once upon a time I had subscriptions and memberships to the Portland Art Museum, White Bird Dance, Oregon Ballet Theater, and Portland Opera. Among other things, this meant that I would get invitations from all kinds of art companies, to attend their shows, or maybe even just donate without visiting. It kind of made sense when they were from Salem, Eugene, or even Seattle, because they aren't really that far away, but sometimes they were much farther. The only one that ever got me was Toronto.

It was a rather ambitious thing they were doing. They were building a new opera house, and they were kicking it off with Wagner's Ring Cycle; the whole thing! That is a rare opportunity. There was about a two year lead time, so I went for it and bought two tickets.

It is hard to understand now the optimism that made me think I should get two tickets, but I had always done that before, and have had all sort of different people go to various performances with me. It's been very enjoyable. It was the four performances in another city, in another country, that should have made me think. I do regret buying two tickets, but I don't regret going.

I now have seen the entire Ring Cycle, and not everyone gets a chance for that. Also, I have now been to most of the places featured in It's an Aardvark Eat Turtle World by Paula Danziger.

If I did not read all of her books when I was a a teenager, I came close. I was intrigued by the places she described in the book, but I didn't really think that I would ever get there. Suddenly, I was going, and I could use the book as a starting point in planning my trip. So much in the same way that if I ever go to New York City it will be influenced by Remember Me to Harold Square, or how if I ever make it to Woodstock it will be influenced by The Divorce Express and There's a Bat in Bunk Five, that was how I planned this trip.

It wasn't the only factor, because there was a City Pass involved, and things that I discovered on the hop on/ hop off tour, but yes, I have been to Casa Loma, and the CN Tower, and Eaton Center. I did not end up getting my picture taken in old-fashioned clothing there, or eating at Mr. Greenjeans - I thought about it, but decided against. Still, I saw some cool stuff, and that is what I will be writing about for the next few books.

Yours till Niagra Falls - no, that's the wrong author!

No comments:

Post a Comment