Saturday, September 23, 2023

Goody's in Bend, and Bend

As we were anticipating our trip to the last Blockbuster in Bend, I was told we were also going to Goody's. I assumed it was Sam Goody and though we were just going to go back to the '90s for a day.

It turns out that Goody's is a candy store in Bend, with an ice cream counter. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

They have a lot of plush from Ty and an unusually large gummy selection, but there are a lot of stores like that. I think we passed at least two in Sisters on the way.

Which is not a reason not to go. If you are enjoying a warm day in Bend and want ice cream, or want to take people chocolate Bend logos as a souvenir, it totally makes sense to go. 

I liked the clever conversion of bike helmets into truffle models for the display window.

Mainly I think about it because it is such a change from the Bend I remember. That is too much distraction for the Blockbuster post, so I will just get this out of my system first.

When I was about 8 or 9, we went to Bend. I remember looking at red, volcanic rocks with a lot of ground squirrels, and shiny black obsidian, and going down these long volcanic tunnels.

As far as I can tell, these were Lava Lands, the Big Obsidian Flow, and Boyd Cave, which may not all be in Bend proper, but more in Deschutes National Forest.

That may be why everything seemed so much less populated. Bend has grown a lot, but there may have been more to the town than I realized even then.

I know there are a lot of outdoor things to do, but having been there now, the main impression is that you can walk along and window shop. That is fine, but not really my thing, and possibly done better by Sisters, where there seems to be more unified construction.

Places appear different decades letter. Some of those changes are actual, and some may be more a matter of perspective.

Honestly -- and I have mixed feelings about it -- I am not even that into candy anymore.

https://goodyschocolates.com/

https://www.visitbend.com/

https://www.sisterscountry.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment