Saturday, July 8, 2023

Tacoma, Washington: Dale Chihuly Bridge of Glass

I first saw the Bridge of Glass in a car passing underneath it, and very much wanted to see it from the top.

The bridge connects the Museum of Glass to the Washington State History Museum, crossing I-705.

I first stepped on the bridge when we visited the Museum of Glass, and it left me with three things undone.

First, there was what I could see. This included the intriguingly shaped LeMay Museum on one side, and a gorgeous arched, brick complex on the other side.

The original train station was there until 1983, then moved by Amtrak. The station was converted into a courthouse, and placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Washington State History Museum next to it was built in the same Beaux Arts style. Without knowing that about them, I was drawn to those buildings.

More embarrassing is what I did not see. Obviously we went up from the Glass Museum side. Looking at the other end, I saw something that looked nondescript, but the end we were on was so interesting, surely there was more there!

 I looked at those walls, but I didn't look up.

Then, when we were in the car driving away, someone who had looked up mentioned it. I was so embarrassed, I did not even fully admit to it in that review, but the bridge and I had unfinished business.

There are completely different approaches on the two ends. On the Glass Museum side (West), is the Venetian Wall. While there are 109 different vases, each one has its own framing shelf.

This may make it easier to pick out little intricacies, like accents of dolphins or putti.

On the Washington State Museum side (East), is the Seaform Pavilion. Blown bowls and tubes and florets are placed together and lit from above. It seems haphazard (though perhaps is not).

It is harder to focus on a single object among the 2364, though you can still make an effort to do so. The overall effect it gives is profusion.

Rich abundance.

I love both approaches.

I also get different things from them.

I had not thought about the interplay of the light, and whether it was coming from above or behind, until I saw the Sea Foam side.

I had recently read something about the bridge being romantic at sunset. There is already so much variety, but the light adds whole other layers as the time of day and type of day changes.

I admit I am not as into the Crystal Towers. 

I have nothing against them, and two big sticks of rock candy is a cool concept, but they don't move me the same way.

And I love this bridge.

It took me ten years to get caught up, but it was worth it.

Maybe in another ten years I will check out the art museum and the Foss Waterway.

Either way, Tacoma is a great city.

COVID: It is all outside. There was a fair amount of traffic (including some dogs!), but nothing that made social distancing difficult.

Accessibility: Pretty good. The path on the bridge itself is smooth and wide. There is elevator access on the Glass Museum side, and access from ground level on the other side, which is also close to public transportation.


https://www.traveltacoma.com/listings/chihuly-bridge-of-glass/479/

https://www.knoxvilledailysun.com/travel/2020/tacoma.html

No comments:

Post a Comment