Saturday, May 14, 2022

Washington Park: The Children's Playground

One of the rules of the Washington Park Children's Playground is that "All adults must be accompanied by a child."

I was not, so I just kind of circled the perimeter, which I do think affected the shot quality. (Realistically, I did not know about the "rule", but I am reluctant to move in close and take pictures that may contain other people's children. This is mere decency.)

I did love this grand entryway, suitable for mobility devices. This playground is designed to be accessible, a goal close to my heart.

It is easier to get into that sandbox than any other I have ever seen.

There are unexpected touches, like this relief map that allows the visually impaired to feel the lay of the playground.

There are things that I have grown to expect, like musical instruments that allow sound experiences, and the saucer shaped swings. However, it was only recently that I appreciated that the designs are supposed to also reflect the Portland skyline, and realized that clock was referencing the KOIN Tower.

The least accessible part is that the park shuttle does not stop here, nor the shuttle. The closest option if you are not driving yourself is to get off at the Rose Garden and then take the sloping sidewalk down, then back up for your return.

I suspect that there is the idea that parents toting children will be able to do so more conveniently in a car, and that is true if they have one. It may be even more true for children using mobility devices, where there may be fewer options for parks.

 
However, a playground that welcomes children with all levels of ability and disability should not disregard access to the destination. There is room for improvement there, though I do not wish to detract from the importance of what is there, and especially its timeliness. The playground was completed in 1995, which seems fairly early in the fight for accessible play.

The thing I love most about the Children's Playground, though, is just off to the side. Sometimes before 1995, I was hanging out with some friends and we stopped at the old Elephant House, which had long been out of use. I was charmed by the tile animal decorations.

Now a picnic shelter, it frequently has people nearby because of the playground, and can be regularly appreciated.

More art (that is a little more sophisticated) ties in the history of the structure,

I don't know that I have anything to add about Accessibility, which has been a main them of this review. However, there is still...

COVID: As this is very much outside, that is not a great concern. However, children will sometimes play in very close quarters, and while the picnic shelter is open, it would be easy to ignore distancing there, where it is not large. Just be aware of your surroundings, and other people.

https://washingtonpark.org/childrens-playground/

No comments:

Post a Comment