Saturday, October 24, 2020

PDX Halloween - Oaks Park Haunted Drive-Thru

Pictures are going to be a little worse for this one. It was night, we were in a vehicle, and I thought I heard not to take pictures inside, so in many cases I did not try.

It was still cool to see the roller coaster lit up.

Haunted attractions are an important part of Halloween, but how to do them in the time of COVID? How about a drive-through haunted house?

There are five different choices. Depending on what you choose, separate but parallel lanes take you to the correct location. In the interests of refraining from contact, the staff tries to guide you like aircraft controllers with light sticks. It assumes a little more ability to follow directions than may be deserved, but we did get to the right spot.

We chose Hill House, ostensibly the least scary. Who wants the scary clown one? (Just kidding; that one is sold out.) We watched a short video and drove in to the first space, experienced some things, drove forward to the next space, experienced some more stuff, and then were done. For each stop you are handed a sanitized speaker that provides the sound resting on your dash.

The obvious question is whether it was scary: no, but I am not sure that is significant. We were in the mildest one, and I don't tend to get scared in haunted houses anyway. Why would this one be different? The scariest part was while we were waiting, and I would catch glimpses of the staff in the car mirrors. They were just going about their business, but that something just outside of easy vision when you are waiting and anticipating... spooky. From a narrative point of view, I think they should have had more of what they had in the first spot in the second spot, but I don't want to give anything away.


But the best part of all - and what I recommend for everyone - is adding the souvenir candy cup. Spilling it out on my bed after we got home, it really felt like I had just been trick-or-treating. That was awesome.

https://scaregroundspdx.com/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment