Saturday, March 9, 2019

A map of Las Vegas

When I was getting ready for my first trip to Vegas, way back in 2000, I borrowed a travel guide from the friend I was going with. I am sure I kept it longer than she intended, because I was trying so hard to memorize the strip and make sure I wouldn't miss anything. I have a different solution for that now.

You may remember the food maps of Disneyland. My sisters asked me to do that for them. It takes some doing.

It is totally not to scale, but I added distance information when we started getting into longer gaps. (That is more of an issue as it goes past the strip toward Fremont.) Also, there are some structures missing and wrongly-sized. The point is to get the order right, and to remember where the points you want to hit for sure are located. (And maybe a few things I put just because.)

The primary purpose is to get a sense of how the locations relate to each other, but also as I worked with the real map (maps.google.com) I would notice new things. It's one way of gaining a new perspective, and a new sense of place.

But mainly, sometimes it is good to draw and be creative, even if what you produce is not super high quality art.

No comments:

Post a Comment