Saturday, February 10, 2018

PDX Christmas - Peacock Lane

It had been many years since I had visited Peacock Lane. What brought me this time was the peacocks.
I assume the name relates to how the street gets all lit and decorated at Christmas, or maybe that was the original name and it helped inspire the display, or maybe they are all completely unrelated. I had still never literally seen any peacocks there, but a photo in the paper seemed to show one. Trying to find another view on line, I found a different one. It turns out there are four.




I am a sucker for adhering to a theme. Sure, the theme of Christmas (plus one Hanukkah house) is already present, but I really appreciated the residents who incorporated peacocks.

It was also nice to see Zero, at a Nightmare Before Christmas House. Actually, many of my favorite displays referenced beloved holiday entertainment.


Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer


How the Grinch Stole Christmas (yes, also a book)

A Muppet Christmas Carol




A Charlie Brown Christmas

I'm assuming this is a general Star Wars reference (out of two on the street) and not specific to the Star Wars Holiday Special, based on the inclusion of Yoda, and the special not being beloved or entertaining, at least not in the ways the others are.

The most common criticism I hear of Peacock Lane is that lots of streets (and people) do amazing Christmas displays that make them superfluous now. I get that, and I don't imagine going every year, but it is nice to have traditions, and a place that has been doing this for close to a hundred years now.


https://www.peacocklane.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment