Saturday, September 9, 2017

Italy - Try the gelato!

I can't say this is dining in Vicenza, because it is everywhere. We had gelato in Vicenza, yes, but also in Marostica, Soave, Verona, and Rome (at the airport).

The very first time I went to Italy it was in October. Even so, I had gelato at least twice, once in Venice. Every other time has been in spring (usually May, March once), and with the warmer weather comes more gelato.

I couldn't usually tell you the names. I took a picture of this sign because of the unusual spelling. Chocolate is cioccolato. The only other name I noticed was Venchi, which we had at the Rome airport. A map shows me now that there was a Venchi in Il Centro in Vicenza too, but I hadn't noticed it then.

I'm not sure how much it matters. At Ciokkolatte, my cousin told me that it wasn't the best gelato there. I thought he meant in Vicenza, but when I asked him, he mentioned a place in Venice.

That was interesting, because he got me gelato twice on the same day in Venice (in October) and was not satisfied either time. I know it was because he wanted to give me the parlor experience when you get fancy cookies adorning the gelato, and we kept only finding cones available, but it was okay. Cones are portable and a good time, and gelato needs no adornment.

My only real regret is that I should have tried the Palladio flavor. Palladio is a famous architect who designed many of the buildings in Vicenza and was an influence on Jefferson and Monticello. What flavors would capture a 16th-century master architect? Apparently it involves a hint of lemon.

I don't have any insider tips for gelato. Some places probably are better than others, but none of them have been bad. Just have it, multiple times. It is pretty standard to get two scoops, and I appreciate this because it means I can try new flavors while still always having stracciatella.

We all scream for gelato.

No comments:

Post a Comment