Saturday, August 26, 2017

Dining in Vicenza - Righetti Self-Service

On this trip I had noticed more of an emphasis on restaurants that have "everything".

If that is a new trend, then the development of a restaurant like Righetti makes more sense, but its web page says it has been around for thirty years. Also, that it has a web page, in English, is pretty different too. Everything about Righetti surprised me.

It is cafeteria style dining. There are counters for different types of food, usually with three or so selections. That makes it very easy to customize the meal, and provides a lot of variety.

This seems like it could be ideal for traveling parties or diverse groups with different tastes, but I am still at the point where it is more that I thought it was interesting than that I liked it. This is somewhat unfair, based on a really bad reaction I had to the meatballs that was probably not the restaurant's fault. The polenta was good.

Still, one of the main things I remember before I had to run and find the bathroom (that was awful) was seeing a big drawer of rolls with tongs where you could fill your own bread basket. The concept was cool, but there were mainly the hard white rolls. I could see one multigrain roll that looked like it would be softer and taste better, but it was buried under so many of the white rolls that there was no way of getting to it -- an interesting idea with poor execution.

I don't think that's not a reason to go to Righetti. The location is convenient, right in the Piazza Duomo. There is outdoor dining and several different rooms inside, allowing for smaller groups to maintain some intimacy.

It is also very popular. At lunchtime the place was swarming, but it cleared out very quickly as the lunch hour ended.

Our cousins paid, so I am not sure what the surprise at the end of dining referred to on the web page is. I know that you don't pay until after you are done. That can be convenient in that you only have to pay once even if you keep deciding to add things, but it does seem to leave the restaurant open to being stiffed. They've stayed in business for thirty years, so it must work out.


Piazza del Duomo, 3, 36100 Vicenza VI, Italy
+39 0444 543135

http://www.selfrighetti.it/inglese/Righetti.html

No comments:

Post a Comment