Saturday, August 22, 2015

Italy - Downtown Vicenza

I have already mentioned that traveling via car I had not understood the proximity of various locations.

Part of that is that in the downtown area driving is heavily restricted. If you live in certain apartment complexes that are right there, you can have a permit, but otherwise you need to park outside of the main area. This makes the area more pleasant for walking, but also distance wise it is very walkable.

It is still cobblestones. We had one person with arthritis in our party and one with fibromyalgia, so they sat and had some drinks and snacks while some of us explored as we were waiting for the rest of the party. Still, it's an area where you can do that.

There are little bars and coffee shops. There is other shopping, including a very nice chocolate shop where they spoke excellent English. I believe we also passed a jewelry shop. I was looking at architecture, because they have beautiful buildings. There are a lot of offices in the area too.

And there are restaurants, so once everyone was there we went and had pizza together.

After that, it was an easy walk to the train station - past park where they have the annual festival - where we saw off my brother and sister in law, and then we headed back to the parking. My mother and I would leave the next day.

So it was a beautiful night, in a beautiful place, with lots of love and laughter and food.

As we were passing the park, one cousin was telling me about the festival. My mother had always spoken fondly of it, and suddenly I was seeing where it happens every September. I told her about our Rose Festival in June, and then my brother mentioned that Pride happened right after it. She told us that they had Pride too, and at about the same time. My brother then mentioned the naked bike ride. They don't have that, but they got a good laugh out of it. Honestly, biking is so supported there that I'm not sure there would be a reason.

Here are some pictures from that night.











No comments:

Post a Comment