Saturday, October 18, 2014

Dzibilchaltún


When I went on the Carnival Cruise, we had two ports of call. In Playa Del Carmen the shore excursion we did was Xcaret, and since I was able to go back I have written more about that. We also stopped in Progreso.

In Playa Del Carmen we took a packet to shore, but for Progreso we were able to walk right onto land. There was a mariachi band to greet us, and lots of shopping, with both traditional souvenirs, like vanilla, but also cheap regular items that were very possibly counterfeit, like Dooney and Bourke purses.

The shore excursion package we had here was for a tour of Dzibilchaltún, and then a Mexican Rodeo (which I will write about next week).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzibilchaltun

Having been to Chichen Itza and Tulum on our later trip, Dzibilchaltún is kind of mix. It is more coastal than Chichen Itza, but not as near as Tulum. This is probably because the land in between Dzibilchaltún is not very habitable, being either rocky or swampy.

The site is configured so that the sun lines up with the Temple of the Seven Dolls on the equinox, but it is not quite as impressive as the creeping serpent of Chichen Itza.

I suppose that makes it kind of a mid-level archaeological site, but at the same time, it was my first Mayan site. This was my first pyramid, and the first I had ever heard of cenotes, and so it holds a special place in my heart.

I don't know that it is a destination spot, but if you are there it is worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment