Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Art of Dr. Seuss at the World Forestry Center

http://www.worldforestry.org/

Someday I think I will want to start going over Portland attractions. A big chunk of that would be the many things available at Washington Park, and of those I can say a lot of good things about the World Forestry Center. I'm not quite ready to launch that though.

However, I did want to write a little about the Dr. Seuss exhibit, which will be there through August 17th, and if you can make it through, you should.

They don't have particularly large exhibit spaces, so nothing takes too long to see, but they are still things worth spending some time on.

It was a pretty good retrospective. There was art from the books and inspired by the books, but there was also some of his early advertising work, magazine covers, WWII themed material, paintings, and Unorthodox Taxidermy.

I had never heard of it either, but in the 30s Seuss experimented with mixed media sculptures, and he incorporated real horns, beaks, and antlers that he got from his zoo superintendent father. (That casts a new light on If I Ran the Zoo, doesn't it.)

Putting works from different times together and setting a context helps you learn more about the artist, and the times, and art. It allows food for thought. This was a good one to see.













No comments:

Post a Comment