Saturday, January 25, 2014

Walking around Chicago


Our first morning in Chicago I stepped out to get breakfast, one of the first things I saw was ladybug cow clinging to the outside of the Talbott Hotel.


At first it struck me as odd, but I realized it was probably part of a Cow Parade:

http://www.cowparade.com/

I was familiar with this, because we had one in Portland, and also, due to occasionally browsing in Hallmark stores, I know that this type of fundraiser has also been done with horses, pigs, and other things.

It looked to me like Chicago may have seen several similar campaigns. That might explain what appears to be a Blues-themed fireplug on Michigan Avenue, a heart in Connors Park, and a collection of Mouseketeers that almost seemed like an extension of what we had seen in Millennium Park.



Overall, it felt like there was a fair amount of whimsy present in how Chicago got decorated, and a fondness for some of the temporary things that might pass through, where a few remnants got left behind.

At the same time, the many bridges gave other opportunities for decor, Every one was a little different.



It was a city that we expected to look interesting. The majority of these posts have focused on specific attractions, and there will be at least two more posts doing that, but I wanted to cover a little bit just how visually interesting the city was in some less expected ways.



No comments:

Post a Comment