Saturday, October 5, 2013

Greek Fest - Portland, Oregon






http://www.goholytrinity.org/cGreekFest.html

Since this weekend is Greek Fest, it seemed like a good time to write about it.

Watching young people perform traditional dances and wear traditional costumes is reassuring, letting you know that culture is being preserved, so I like that.

Participating in the dancing when they are teaching you the steps is fun, even if you are almost certain to mess up the steps, especially as they get faster and faster. That is just part of the fun.

I have to admit, though, that a big part of the attraction of Greek Fest for me is the food. They have things that are good, and that you can find anywhere else.

And they have things that you can find as well. I love souvlaki and gyros, but I can find them. For the sit-down dinner, those are things you can get at Greek restaurants. It is only at Greek Fest that I ever find loukoumades and tiropita.

Loukoumades are rather like doughnut holes, only honeyed and cinnamoned. They are delicious and fun to share.

Tiropita is rather like spanokopita, only without the spinach. I maintain that it is much better without the spinach. Yes, there is no vegetable serving, but that green just distracts from the excellent combination of warm cheese and phyllo dough. Lots of places have spanokopita; not so much with the tiropita.

And that's what Greek Fest is for me. I watch some dancing, I do some dancing, and I eat Greek food. I do go into the Church and the market, but it pretty much comes down to food and dancing. That's not bad for any festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment