Saturday, August 10, 2013

Disneyland: Frontierland









I'll try not to beat a dead horse, but I wanted to get back to the two things currently in Critter Country that I still consider to be in Frontierland. With the starting point of the old Country Bear Jamboree, I seem to remember that one of the Frontierland attractions was Teddi Barra's; it might have been the shooting gallery.

Also, the canoes existed before Critter Country. The restaurant might have, but the canoes definitely did, and it was significant because Frontierland was all about the boats. Yes, you sort of rode boat-like things in It's a Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean, but Frontierland had water with a riverboat, sailing ship, keelboat, and raft, plus the canoes, all holding their place on the Rivers of America.

There was a strong influence from The Wonderful World of Disney and Disney Movies, some of which is still there. Tom Sawyer Island has been redone so there is more of a pirate influence since Pirates of the Caribbean the movie, but it's not like Tom would never have played pirates.

The raft that carries you there I think is still somewhat similar to the raft that Huck and Jim used, and although you don't ride it, that is a replica of Mike Fink's Gullywhumper outside the cabin. So Frontierland was very much about the boats, even though my favorite ride there involves the train.

Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes: Actually, I have never ridden these. I had a bad experience with a rowboat at a Flintstone's park in Canada once, and so when I see the passengers wielding oars I get nervous. The ride description says the guide does most of the work, and the guests paddle just for fun, but I am skeptical. I still think it's cool that they exist. Maybe someday.

Mark Twain Riverboat: This gives you a narrated tour of the surroundings on the Rivers of America, in the voice of Mark Twain. Around the waterway, visible from the various boats and the train, are scenes of frontier life, with cabins, wild animals, and natives.

Sailing Ship Columbia: Instead of a riverboat this is a three-masted windjammer, and instead of recorded narration, the crew talks to you. Below deck there are displays to give you an idea of crew life, with bunks and a galley.


Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: If you ask about my favorite ride in the park, I will have a hard time choosing between this and the Matterhorn. It is a really fun roller coaster ride set up as a runaway train through the Old West, going through mines and past desert animals and even dinosaur bones. Lots of fun.

Pirate's Lair On Tom Sawyer Island: This has been updated, and some of that has been to increase the pirate feeling, but also they have made this a great place to have your kids burn off their energy. Seriously, it is exhausting just going around the paths and bridges, and kids can also climb and dig.

Frontierland Shooting Exposition: I have only done this one once. I don't like that there is a fee. I can see that it would be necessary to keep any one guest from just staying there and keeping other guests waiting, but I already spend enough money there, and they don't sweeten the pot by giving prizes. With prizes, I would probably do it more.

Big Thunder Mountain Ranch: This is basically a petting zoo, and we haven't really tried it. It's fairly new, after the Hunchback Village with its Feast of Fools didn't catch on (Clopin will be involved in the Fantasy Faire), and it was closed the first time we went there since it opened. Last time we could have gone, but I think we felt out of place as childless adults going to a petting zoo. I like petting zoos though, so next time I should probably just go for it.

Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue: Part of the property, as well as an area for coloring, is this restaurant, which as an all you can eat barbecue seems like it would be a good deal.

Harbour Galley: I know, I have been so stubborn about the location on this one, and I will probably never go to it, because it serves seafood. Still, with all that water in Frontierland, and boats, there probably should be a seafood place.

The Golden Horseshoe: We have been here. The main draw is that along with the food there is live entertainment. They are simple shows, but we had never seen one before and decided we wanted to. It was just a comic sketch with audience participation, but it is nice to relax sometimes and get out of the sun. I think we split a sundae and a rice crispy treat among the three of us, so I know they have desserts, but they had regular food too.

Stage Door Cafe: If I recall correctly, this is similar food to the Golden Horseshoe, but with a walkup window instead of being inside. I believe I have gotten chicken strips here. There are outside tables nearby.

Rancho Del Zocalo Restaurante: I thought this was fine, but my sisters did not like it. Still, their idea of Mexican food is Taco Bell, and this is a bit more authentic than that. The atmosphere was good, and the food wasn't even that spicy, but if your tolerance is low, you should probably go somewhere else. Personally, I think it is good that the area dedicated to the Old West acknowledges the Mexican influence. There is a small area nearby called Zocalo Park, and the Day of the Dead decorations appeared there around Halloween.

River Belle Terrace: We have never been here. It sounds like it would be good for breakfast, but we usually take advantage of the free continental breakfast at our hotel, then eat lunch and dinner in the park. Their lunch and dinner offerings are baguette sandwiches, which are fine, but in this area we are right near the Bengal Barbecue and Royal Street Veranda, which we tend to stick to. Perhaps we need to change it up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment